GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum Photobucket  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NASCAR Forums > Sprint Cup
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sprint Cup NASCAR Forum. ShortTrack to SuperSpeedway, come trade some paint with other race fans. Talk about everything that's NASCAR racing in our NASCAR Forum.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Official F1 Moderator, Motorsports Curmudgeon and All Around Good Guy
VIP Member Badge

Bob Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point
Bojangles 500

I haven't watched the race yet but I'm waiting to see a post from someone who has something really positive to say about it? There seems to be a lot of discontent about posts which are negative, so where are the positives? What was there about yesterday's race to make you be excited about the next upcoming race? Darlington isn't one of the cookie cuters not is it a plate track, ergo it shouldn't be hard to find something really outstanding to say about last nights NA__AR product? We give specifics when we complain so how about giving some positive specifics?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Supreme-Winner

WestCoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bojangles 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tanner View Post
I haven't watched the race yet but who has something really positive to say about it?
Fast forward to the last 50 laps Bob.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 PM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Fast forward to the last 50 laps Bob.
"The last 50 laps...? So, what I'm seeing being said is that the first 86.4% (50/368 ) part of the waste wasn't actually that inspiring?

I haven't seen the race yet but doesn't that type of endorsement play right into the arguement a lot of us have; NA__AR, for the most part, produces mediocre racing for most of the race?

What was so specifically exciting about the final 50 laps? This question is coming from one who hasn't seen it yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Supreme-Winner

WestCoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tanner View Post
"The last 50 laps...? So, what I'm seeing being said is that the first 86.4% (50/368 ) part of the waste wasn't actually that inspiring?

I haven't seen the race yet but doesn't that type of endorsement play right into the arguement a lot of us have; NA__AR, for the most part, produces mediocre racing for most of the race?

What was so specifically exciting about the final 50 laps? This question is coming from one who hasn't seen it yet.
I only watched the tail end of the race (last 50) and though it was pretty good and entertaining.
Best to watch and judge for yourself.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM
All Pro

BrianFranceFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Something positive? How about the fact that six different guys lead more than 25 laps? Shows that the race wasn't exactly dominated by one certain driver. Johnson seemed to have the best car towards the end, but before that, it was hard to tell because so many guys were moving towards the front, while others had their car go away towards the end. Personally, I thought it was an exciting race all around. Never seems to amaze me how the cars can drive so good even after getting into the wall several times. Just because it's an exciting race doesn't mean their will be tons of posts about how exciting it was. I mean, like all the old timers have said...none of them even watch the races anymore, so they wont have any opinions on it. And most who do watch the race have already either left the site or avoid posting here.

While on the subject, you may give specifics when you complain, but those specifics are always the same exact thing for every race.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 PM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
I only watched the tail end of the race (last 50) and though it was pretty good and entertaining.
Best to watch and judge for yourself.
No, I've decided that this is one I want the pro-NA__AR folks to describe for me. Tell me what I'm seeing. What exactly made the race pretty good and entertaining for you? I've already been chastised enough for being critical so I would like a view which is as biased toward this new NA__AR as I am against it. Apparently I've not gotten the nuances to this new type of racing and I need some instruction as to exactly what I'm obviously missing. Only then, when I watch the race will I have sufficient background to fully appreciate what I'm watching.

HELP!!! From anyone...!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:03 PM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFranceFan View Post
Something positive? How about the fact that six different guys lead more than 25 laps? Shows that the race wasn't exactly dominated by one certain driver. Johnson seemed to have the best car towards the end, but before that, it was hard to tell because so many guys were moving towards the front, while others had their car go away towards the end. Personally, I thought it was an exciting race all around. Never seems to amaze me how the cars can drive so good even after getting into the wall several times. Just because it's an exciting race doesn't mean their will be tons of posts about how exciting it was. I mean, like all the old timers have said...none of them even watch the races anymore, so they wont have any opinions on it. And most who do watch the race have already either left the site or avoid posting here.

While on the subject, you may give specifics when you complain, but those specifics are always the same exact thing for every race.
Six leaders who lad 25+ laps. That is definitely a very positive point. Since we're talking 25+ laps, that shows that they lead under green and not just lead due to pit stops or caution flags.

I think you gave an excellent reply, except for the [perceived] minor slam there at the end. But then, I've been accused of being sarcastic in my overall posts in this thread while no sarcasm was meant at all.

Thanks for a good reply. I honestly would like to see more positive statements such as these. The example you give is very hard to argue with or refute. Coming up with good example such as the one you cited might be what detractors such as myself need to see more of? When I watch the race I'll definately look for that specific.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 AM
All Pro

R.Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, unfortunately, I didn't get to watch the race. My brother and I were all set to watch and they had a power outage there in Clarksville, where he lives. We sat there waiting for the power to come back on, they had pretty bad storms in the area, but gave up around 9:30 and hit the rack. I left the light on in my room, power finally came back on around 1:30 am. I missed this one.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
All Pro
Charter Member Badge

oncea3fan is an unknown quantity at this point

With so much fall off in the lap times, the pit stradagy came in to play were if a drivers came in early he sometimes had the lead after the green flag stops (3 before the first caution) short run cars moving to the front , only to be taking over by long runs cars. watch kurt busch battle in to the top ten only to pit and loose serveral spot each pit. great shots of the cars sliding off 2 on to the back stretch.
also you'll get to hear how great the 10 did, evan though it was multiple laps and only finish ahead of S&P and cars that had promblems.

Kyle and the #18 M&M's Toyota
We Melt the Competition

RCR
Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 PM
All Pro

BrianFranceFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncea3fan View Post
also you'll get to hear how great the 10 did, evan though it was multiple laps and only finish ahead of S&P and cars that had promblems.
Surprisingly, I didn't really hear much about her during the race or after the race. Maybe I just missed it all, but I don't recall them saying much about her. I was shocked!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Administrator, Motorsports Guru & Crotchety Old Fart
VIP Member BadgeStaff Badge

Racer Duck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Racer Duck

I watched most of the race (all except the first 40 or so laps.)

my observations:
  1. Danica was mostly overlooked, tho there were the occasional "roof cam" shot of the car in front of her. I didn't notice her getting into any trouble, did a workmans job in the race (nothing spectacular, didn't give the "ooh-ahh"ers anything to ooh or ahh about.) but she finished some 8 places ahead of her start position, so any day you can improve your finish is a good day racing.
  2. first half of the race was all green! some teams gained position and others lost position by their choice of pit stop timing - provided an extra dimension to the race
  3. a couple of wrecks in the 2nd half that could have been avoided .. makes me wonder if the drivers were suffering from a lack of adrenalin (aka, boredom). lots of "Darlington stripes" and many wall caused "rear dents" (loose on exit.)
  4. Kurt Busch shorted out between the ears at the end. his car went bad, he cut a tire and determined to wrestle it to the end - naturally it bit him, and a few other folks suffered due to his cranial rectumitus. I've been trying to remain objective about him, but I think the guy needs psychiactric help before he gets into a race car again.
  5. Jimmy Johnson's fuel saving antics at the end (turning the engine on and off on the yellow laps - of note was his "rhythm" in doing so.)
  6. Kasey Kahne's run. he was near the front all race, and when he fell back (usually from a pit stop) it didn't take him long to get back into the top 5 tho his finish doesn't reflect his day at the track. Jeff Gordon continues to be snake-bit.
  7. how MWR's cars showed flashes, but generally fell way short tho Truex managed a 5th. how Burton and company seem to be sliding backward more with each race. Edwards top 10 miracle (where did he come from?) Menard continues to pile up good (T20) finishes as does Regan Smith. the opposite for McMurray. and where's Robby?
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed the racing through out the race. the usual S&P folks made their appearance, but they were non-factors anyway. there was enough good racing action throughout the pack all race long that hardly a lap went by without something good to watch (tho most probably think watching the leaders is what's important, I was glad to see some of the racing for, say, 15th place in the middle of the race.

overall:

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Sprint Cup Moderator
Staff Badge

Robertdjr will become famous soon enough

Is it possible we're judging the racing in NASCAR with tunnel vision, seen entirely through the lens of TV cameras? If that's the case, and given FOX's complete and total failure with their coverage this year, then it's understandable how some would feel it's boring. But, I've read from plenty of fans who were at the races, who thought it was much better being there. According to them, there was action on the track all day. None of which is shown on TV. So should we take that into consideration when discussing the state of racing in NASCAR? Maybe those of us who find it terribly boring, would see it differently if we were there. I don't know for sure, because I haven't been to a race in a few years. Just guessing and going on comments I've read. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Special Teams

BooDrow is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with that. Most of what we pass judgment on is the media coverage when we sit home a watch or listen. They present it in such an aggravating fashion that we really don't know what is going on except with their hand picked drivers and sponsors. Larry Mac drives me crazy with "that number 18 Toyota, number 11 Toyota, number 15 Toyota and number 48, number 88, number 99 etc"...He must be getting a lot of money to say the word "Toyota"

I counted how many times he said that one day, sickening. Give me a break Larry, this is not their first year!! And it is not the first year that Michael Waldrip's Toyotas have been there. Plug my ears. He is worse than the Wall Drips.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Starter

moon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDrow View Post
I agree with that. Most of what we pass judgment on is the media coverage when we sit home a watch or listen. They present it in such an aggravating fashion that we really don't know what is going on except with their hand picked drivers and sponsors. Larry Mac drives me crazy with "that number 18 Toyota, number 11 Toyota, number 15 Toyota and number 48, number 88, number 99 etc"...He must be getting a lot of money to say the word "Toyota"

I counted how many times he said that one day, sickening. Give me a break Larry, this is not their first year!! And it is not the first year that Michael Waldrip's Toyotas have been there. Plug my ears. He is worse than the Wall Drips.
You can always do as I do and mute the TV and turn on MRN and listen to Barney Hall. MRN even lets us listen for free on the www now if your local radio stations have given up on broadcasting the races.

I think I've mentioned before that the director switching cameras so fast keeps me from seeing what's really happening. Just as one guy gets a run going they'll switch to a totally different car.

You are right about the constant "conflict of interest" going on in the booth. That's why I do not listen to those guys.