GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum Photobucket  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NASCAR Forums > Sprint Cup
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sprint Cup NASCAR Forum. ShortTrack to SuperSpeedway, come trade some paint with other race fans. Talk about everything that's NASCAR racing in our NASCAR Forum.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Sprint Cup Moderator
Staff Badge

Robertdjr will become famous soon enough
NASCAR Officially Announces 2010 Rule Changes

* Elimination of bump drafting rules. “Boys,” Pemberton said, “have at it and have a good time.”

* Larger resrictor plates will be in place at Daytona. The size of the holes in the plates will be 63/64ths of an inch, which makes them the largest since the 1980 Daytona 500.

* Rear wings will disappear this coming season and blade spoilers will reappear. It is hoped that will be accomplished in time for the race at Texas Motor Speedway on April 18.

* Beginning with the Feb. 13 season opener at Daytona, NASCAR Nationwide Series teams will be limited to 15 crew members, including the driver, crew chief, spotter and seven over-the-wall pit-crew members. Teams also won’t be required to provide a scorer. Last year teams had no limit on at-track crew members.

* NASCAR Nationwide Series teams may run no more than two races in 2010 without using an engine sealed by series officials. Last year they could run three races before using a sealed engine.

* NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams will use double-file restarts “shootout style” in 2010, making restart rules uniform across all three national series. Teams also will return to traditional pit stops, eliminating last year’s procedure of refueling and changing tires on separate stops. Teams also may use a new, vented fuel dump can, eliminating the need for a catch can.

*Not changing will be the existence of yellow no-passing lines at the plate tracks of Daytona and Talladega. Pemberton said the erasing of the yellow lines was discussed with teams and drivers and the reaction was, don’t do it. “We threw it out there,” Pemberton said. “I wouldn’t say it was 50/50. Probably not 70/30. Most drivers said we’ve got enough changes” for the upcoming season.

The changes stem from a desire by NASCAR to start “Putting things back into the hands of the drivers. We intend to loosen up,” Brian France said. “We want to make very good racing, better. Over the past 10 years we've dramatically increased safety and that mission continues. However, it's time for us to allow the drivers to drive. We don't want the rules and regulations to get in the way of great racing and fantastic finishes."

NASCAR president Mike Helton said that the series will allow drivers more freedom to express themselves in 2010.

“We will continue to let the drivers be themselves,” Helton said.

Racin’ Today » NASCAR Details Changes For 2010 Season
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:42 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

kkfan91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kkfan91 Send a message via MSN to kkfan91 Send a message via Yahoo to kkfan91
Re: NASCAR Officially Announces 2010 Rule Changes

[quote=Robertdjr;446503
NASCAR president Mike Helton said that the series will allow drivers more freedom to express themselves in 2010.

“[/quote]
...didn't they say that last year?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
All Pro
Charter Member Badge

oncea3fan is an unknown quantity at this point

largest plate since 1989, there were no plates in 1980

would have liked to see yellow line not in effect from turn 3 to the flag on the last lap
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
All Pro
Charter Member Badge

Smoke842 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesss, bump drafting is back!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
All Pro

BrianFranceFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke842 View Post
Yesss, bump drafting is back!
Oh great...let the driver complaints begin! We will have a huge wreck in the turns most likely and we will hear the drivers show their displeasure!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
All Pro

BrianFranceFan is an unknown quantity at this point

So correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't larger restrictor plates mean easier to draft...high speeds...but the cars will be more spread out? I really have no idea...but if it will make them more spread out, I ain't in favor of the new rule. I watch Daytona and Talladega for the close bumper to bumper racing. So Someone fill me on on how the racing at Dega and Daytona will change due to that new rule. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
VIP Member BadgeCharter Member Badge

Quality88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFranceFan View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't larger restrictor plates mean easier to draft...high speeds...but the cars will be more spread out? I really have no idea...but if it will make them more spread out, I ain't in favor of the new rule. I watch Daytona and Talladega for the close bumper to bumper racing. So Someone fill me on on how the racing at Dega and Daytona will change due to that new rule. Thanks.
The larger plates will not spread the field out. It will allow the cars to get up to speed quicker, go faster, and have better(not great mind you) throttle response. They'll be able to let of the gas and not lose as much momentum.

In gubernatio sugit
Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
The Wicked One

Stewart Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

* Elimination of bump drafting rules. “Boys,” Pemberton said, “have at it and have a good time.”

I'll have to see it before I can buy into it. They say this all the time and nothing ever really changes.

* Larger resrictor plates will be in place at Daytona. The size of the holes in the plates will be 63/64ths of an inch, which makes them the largest since the 1980 Daytona 500.

I don't know how this is gonna work. I mean will the cars be seperated more now or what?

* Rear wings will disappear this coming season and blade spoilers will reappear. It is hoped that will be accomplished in time for the race at Texas Motor Speedway on April 18.

This I think is the best idea. The wing was NEVER popular so this has to be a change for the better not matter what. Hopefully it will make for better racing.

* Beginning with the Feb. 13 season opener at Daytona, NASCAR Nationwide Series teams will be limited to 15 crew members, including the driver, crew chief, spotter and seven over-the-wall pit-crew members. Teams also won’t be required to provide a scorer. Last year teams had no limit on at-track crew members.

I think there should be a limit on how many you HAVE to have to cut down on the Start and Park cars who only show up with one or two people.

* NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams will use double-file restarts “shootout style” in 2010, making restart rules uniform across all three national series. Teams also will return to traditional pit stops, eliminating last year’s procedure of refueling and changing tires on separate stops.

I love this rule, The truck series is already great but this will make it even better! The pit stop rule was so stupid so I'm glad it's over.

*Not changing will be the existence of yellow no-passing lines at the plate tracks of Daytona and Talladega. Pemberton said the erasing of the yellow lines was discussed with teams and drivers and the reaction was, don’t do it.

This is another great thing! Allowing drivers to pass under the yellow line would have been one of the worst decisions they would have made.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
The Intimidator

nascaraddict is on a distinguished road

NASCAR has two camps. The whiners, and the schemers.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Official F1 Moderator, Motorsports Curmudgeon and All Around Good Guy
VIP Member Badge

Bob Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncea3fan View Post
largest plate since 1989, there were no plates in 1980

would have liked to see yellow line not in effect from turn 3 to the flag on the last lap
I wonder how Dale would have reacted to having his "Pass-In-the-Grass" win disallowed is the yellow Line Rule were in effect then?

NA__AR has become the poster child for the affect over-regulation has on things. The yellow line is a PERECT example. Boy, those races at Talladega and Daytona, back in the 70's and 80's were really horrible, weren't they? How did NASCAR ever exist before its current reincarnation as NA__AR? It must have been the recreational pharmaceuticals I did back then which made me think i was actually watching some really good racing?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

kkfan91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kkfan91 Send a message via MSN to kkfan91 Send a message via Yahoo to kkfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tanner View Post
I wonder how Dale would have reacted to having his "Pass-In-the-Grass" win disallowed is the yellow Line Rule were in effect then?
I thought it only was a rule at Talladega and Daytona Dale did that at Charlotte
Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Official F1 Moderator, Motorsports Curmudgeon and All Around Good Guy
VIP Member Badge

Bob Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan91 View Post
I thought it only was a rule at Talladega and Daytona Dale did that at Charlotte
True but the concept is still the same. Over-legislation by NA__AR, telling the drivers HOW they must drive. I don't think dale would have grooved on it at all.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tanner View Post
True but the concept is still the same. Over-legislation by NA__AR, telling the drivers HOW they must drive. I don't think dale would have grooved on it at all.
Yeah, that would be one of the times Dale Sr would have went to the trailer uninvited.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Magic Man

mike honcho is on a distinguished road

This sport wouldn't be like this if he was alive.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike honcho View Post
This sport wouldn't be like this if he was alive.
That has always been my thoughts.