GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum Photobucket  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NASCAR Forums > Sprint Cup
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sprint Cup NASCAR Forum. ShortTrack to SuperSpeedway, come trade some paint with other race fans. Talk about everything that's NASCAR racing in our NASCAR Forum.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Official F1 Moderator, Motorsports Curmudgeon and All Around Good Guy
VIP Member Badge

Bob Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point
Someone Had to Say It

Larry Woody writes a GREAT piece for Racing Today.com. In part he writes:
We know thereís a definite trend toward teammates helping teammates. Thatís troubling, and if NASCARís not worried sick it ought to be.

Earlier this season, Jimmie Johnson intentionally slowed down while leading a race to allow teammate Mark Martin to pass and collect five bonus points.

Later in another race Martin repaid the favor. He deliberately slowed and allowed Johnson a free pass for five freebies.

At that point the point standings became fixed. (My emphases) Two drivers had points they didnít earn.

The whole piece, and it's a keeper, is at: Woody: Racing Is About Competition, Not Cooperation | Racin' Today
Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 AM
GoTeamsGo - Admin
Staff Badge

LSC9901 has disabled reputation
Re: Someone Had to Say It

While I hate this, it isn't anything new. Why complain now ? Remember before there was the insane "Lucky Dog" and a team mate either wouldn't pass a team mate or he would allow the team mate to race past him while racing back to the S/F line if there was a caution ? If it were just one organization doing it it might be an issue but the same program is available to all teams ... unless you are one of those antiquated one car teams.

I do like the accusation of
Quote:
At that point the point standings became fixed.
Suppose NASCAR will ever address it ???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
While I hate this, it isn't anything new. Why complain now ? Remember before there was the insane "Lucky Dog" and a team mate either wouldn't pass a team mate or he would allow the team mate to race past him while racing back to the S/F line if there was a caution ? If it were just one organization doing it it might be an issue but the same program is available to all teams ... unless you are one of those antiquated one car teams.

I do like the accusation of Suppose NASCAR will ever address it ???
"Why complain now?" It's my experience that when you quit complaining about something you know in your heart of hearts is completely wrong, then that wrong just becomes the status quo by default.

Example: At one time it was an almost universal feeling that a child born out of wedlock was a bastard child and the parents were looked upon with a degree of suspicion and sometimes outright scorn. However, because of PC pressure people quit commenting and lamenting the fact. Now? children born out of wedlock are almost considered the norm. Want to start a real argument? In a group of people, if the discussion gets around to someone having a baby which was born without benefit of a marriage license, refer to the offspring as a bastard, then hold on tight. You will be accosted from all sides (and probably ostracised for your insensitivity and attitude - wanta guess how I know this to be true?).

NA__AR will NEVER address the problem because they see it not as a problem but as simply a way of doing business. To address it would be "Rocking the boat" and might upset the people who REALLY matter, not the fans but the sponsors and team owners.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Special Teams

Lefturn is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as they have teams (and there is no going back now) and as long as they have points awarded for leading a lap this will continue. I personally don't have a problem with pulling over and letting a team mate lead a lap.

If you roll over and let a team mate win (F1 Style) and nothing happens, I stop watching you and whatever sanctioning body you race for.

If you crash on purpose because you were told to, same as above.

We won't have to worry about crashing on purpose in NASCAR ... phatom debris cautions are there for that reason. Thankfully they are, for the most part, a thing of the past and I thank Tony Stewart for calling NASCAR out on that one.

Now what NASCAR needs to do is not be so trigger happy with the yellow flag. When a car spins and gets going again, why stop the racing? How many times have they let them race when its Robby Gordon down in the grass ... but when its Gordon, or Johnson or one of the chosen they seem to throw it as soon as they get sideways off the corner? Ah, sorry that is the topic for another debate.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefturn View Post
As long as they have teams (and there is no going back now) and as long as they have points awarded for leading a lap this will continue. I personally don't have a problem with pulling over and letting a team mate lead a lap.

If you roll over and let a team mate win (F1 Style) and nothing happens, I stop watching you and whatever sanctioning body you race for.

If you crash on purpose because you were told to, same as above.

We won't have to worry about crashing on purpose in NASCAR ... phatom debris cautions are there for that reason. Thankfully they are, for the most part, a thing of the past and I thank Tony Stewart for calling NASCAR out on that one.

Now what NASCAR needs to do is not be so trigger happy with the yellow flag. When a car spins and gets going again, why stop the racing? How many times have they let them race when its Robby Gordon down in the grass ... but when its Gordon, or Johnson or one of the chosen they seem to throw it as soon as they get sideways off the corner? Ah, sorry that is the topic for another debate.
We're on the same page except the phantom cautions are still there, they just aren't as overt as they were before Tony called them on it.

As far as "throwing a race (F1 style)," I agree but... (Always the innocuous "But)

How about the five point Jimmy "gave" Mark early in the season? If Martin had squeaked into the playoff by four points, in my mind that would have constituted a "win."

Also these teams get paid money at season's end based on standings which is determined by points. Five [undeserved] points here and five [undeserved] points there and pretty soon we're talking five figure differences in money.

But, as you so rightly put it, as long as NA__AR allows (I would say "Encourages") megateams and drivers who drive for points and not honour and wins, these "Give away points" are here to stay.

But, I get what you mean and agree.
Sponsored Links