GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NASCAR Forums > NASCAR Trivia
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NASCAR Trivia NASCAR Trivia Questions. Ask and answer trivia questions about NASCAR history and your favorite drivers here. NASCAR Trivia Questions.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Official F1 Moderator, Motorsports Curmudgeon and All Around Good Guy
VIP Member Badge

Bob Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point
Ten More Trivia Questions

The first set were pretty easy. Some of these are a little bit tougher (and some aren't).
11) What color(s) were the Holman-Moody Fords that David Pearson drove to championships in 1969 and 1970?

12) Junior Johnson ran just one Grand National race in 1957. How come? And what is Junior’s given birth first name?

13) What unusual bit of safety equipment did “Tiger” Tom Pistone sport when he raced at Daytona?

14) Bill Elliott made his first Cup start way back on Feb. 29th, 1976. What car number did he run, what color was the car and where did he finish?

15) The spring race of 1993 at Atlanta had to be postponed six days. What happened to delay the race?

16) Rick Hendrick is best known as a multi-title team owner but he also used to make an occasional start in the Cup series. How many times did Hendrick race and what and where were his best finishes recorded?

17) Dale Earnhardt, Sr. started his first Cup race at Charlotte. What kind of car did he drive, what numbers were on the side and who was the sponsor of the car? (Here’s a hint on the sponsor… had the car actually been found to have been using the product that sponsor’s chief business relied on, Earnhardt and his team owner would have been banned for life from the sport.)

18 ) Which two drivers were nicknamed “The Chicken-Man” and “Jaws” back in the day?

19) Another famous nickname. Who was “Pops?”Hint: It isn't Tony Eury Sr.

20) List the three most memorable (in retrospect) events at the 1992 season finale in Atlanta.

I give everyone a week or so to noodle these out.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
VIP Member BadgeCharter Member Badge

Quality88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ten More Trivia Questions

11) What color(s) were the Holman-Moody Fords that David Pearson drove to championships in 1969 and 1970?
Blue and Gold

12) Junior Johnson ran just one Grand National race in 1957. How come? And what is Junior’s given birth first name?
He was in the federal pen, Robert Glenn

13) What unusual bit of safety equipment did “Tiger” Tom Pistone sport when he raced at Daytona?
Life preserver and oxygen tube ( i didn't have to look this one up)

14) Bill Elliott made his first Cup start way back on Feb. 29th, 1976. What car number did he run, what color was the car and where did he finish?
#9, white, 33rd

15) The spring race of 1993 at Atlanta had to be postponed six days. What happened to delay the race?
Snow
16) Rick Hendrick is best known as a multi-title team owner but he also used to make an occasional start in the Cup series. How many times did Hendrick race and what and where were his best finishes recorded?
2 starts i know of, not sure where

17) Dale Earnhardt, Sr. started his first Cup race at Charlotte. What kind of car did he drive, what numbers were on the side and who was the sponsor of the car? (Here’s a hint on the sponsor… had the car actually been found to have been using the product that sponsor’s chief business relied on, Earnhardt and his team owner would have been banned for life from the sport.)
Dodge Charger, #8

18 ) Which two drivers were nicknamed “The Chicken-Man” and “Jaws” back in the day?
Neil Bonnet and Darrell Waltrip

19) Another famous nickname. Who was “Pops?”Hint: It isn't Tony Eury Sr.
Wasn't it Curtis Turner?

20) List the three most memorable (in retrospect) events at the 1992 season finale in Atlanta.
King Richards last start(crashin and catchin on fire), ALan Kulwicki's winning the Cup by only 10 points, the last time an owner driver won the cup

In gubernatio sugit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:10 PM
VIP Member Badge

Good job, Dustin. I don't know which reference material you are using but it's good. A couple of these I had to go back to old issues of Stock Car Racing to find the answer.
Now, in the interest of creating a "Teachable moment" to those to might not know the answers, I'll let you finish off the project. Would you expand a bit on the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality88 View Post

He was in the federal pen, Robert Glenn
Why?

Life preserver and oxygen tube ( i didn't have to look this one up)Why?

2 starts i know of, not sure where Two, in Cup, is correct. Both at Riverside and his best finish was 15th. he also had one BGN start (Road Atlanta) and one CTS start (Topeka)

Dodge Charger, #8The sponsor? (This one is kind of tricky and I'm not sure about the ban which is mentioned.

King Richards last start(crashin and catchin on fire), ALan Kulwicki's winning the Cup by only 10 points, the last time an owner driver won the cup There is one more thing that happened that day which many think changed the face of NASCAR and headed it to where it is today.
Should you not choose to accept, this post will self-destruct in seven days.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

kkfan91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kkfan91 Send a message via MSN to kkfan91 Send a message via Yahoo to kkfan91

number 20 would be Jeff Gordon's first start.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

He was in the federal pen, Robert Glenn..... I have heard 2 versions..... both come out to the same thing... he was caught with moonshine. The first version is he was runnin it... the second version was he was caught at his dad's still

Life preserver and oxygen tube ( i didn't have to look this one up) He was afraid of runnin into the lake and drownin while runnin the race.... it came after a driver crashed into the lake durin a qualifyin race.... I think it was Tommy Irwin?

Dodge Charger, #8, 10,000 RPM Speed Equipment

King Richards last start(crashin and catchin on fire), ALan Kulwicki's winning the Cup by only 10 points, the last time an owner driver won the cup.... As kkfan pointed out it was "Wonder Boy" Jeffy Pooh Gordon's first start. I just didn't want to put it down
Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
He was in the federal pen, Robert Glenn..... I have heard 2 versions..... both come out to the same thing... he was caught with moonshine. The first version is he was runnin it... the second version was he was caught at his dad's still

Life preserver and oxygen tube ( i didn't have to look this one up) He was afraid of runnin into the lake and drownin while runnin the race.... it came after a driver crashed into the lake durin a qualifyin race.... I think it was Tommy Irwin?

Dodge Charger, #8, 10,000 RPM Speed Equipment

King Richards last start(crashin and catchin on fire), ALan Kulwicki's winning the Cup by only 10 points, the last time an owner driver won the cup.... As kkfan pointed out it was "Wonder Boy" Jeffy Pooh Gordon's first start. I just didn't want to put it down
Mission accomplished. I have a picture of Tommy's '59 T-Bird's rear end sticking out of the lake. Pistone was deathly afraid of water and drove with the mentioned additions. Ironically, they didn't help him when he nailed the T-4 wall on lap 198 of the 500. He suffered a concussion, broken collarbone and internal injuries. Two weeks later he drove in the next race, Feb 28th at the Charlotte Fairgrounds. He completed 144 of the 200 laps, ending up 9th. This was the race that was Richard's first win in GN/Cup.

Good job.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tanner View Post
Mission accomplished. I have a picture of Tommy's '59 T-Bird's rear end sticking out of the lake. Pistone was deathly afraid of water and drove with the mentioned additions. Ironically, they didn't help him when he nailed the T-4 wall on lap 198 of the 500. He suffered a concussion, broken collarbone and internal injuries. Two weeks later he drove in the next race, Feb 28th at the Charlotte Fairgrounds. He completed 144 of the 200 laps, ending up 9th. This was the race that was Richard's first win in GN/Cup.

Good job.
I'd like to see that picture.

I know some of this stuff off the top of my head through knowledge from relatives, family friends, other race fans or from stumblin upon it while researchin other facts. You learn so much.... and it can be very interesting and intriguing..... as far as reference material.... well I'll give one up.... racing-reference.com.....
Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 PM
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
I'd like to see that picture.

I know some of this stuff off the top of my head through knowledge from relatives, family friends, other race fans or from stumblin upon it while researchin other facts. You learn so much.... and it can be very interesting and intriguing..... as far as reference material.... well I'll give one up.... racing-reference.com.....
I once knew how to post a pix in a thread but somewhere along the line I've lost the ability. Send me your Email address via PM and I'll scan it and forward it to you. It's grainy and in B&W but it's good enough to tell what it is.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 AM
VIP Member Badge

I sent you the pix, Dustin. Let me know if you got it and if it was viewable. The picture was taken looking into the sun (The view of the lake from the camera was indeed a westward shot) and the thing you see on the right was the wrecker pulling the T-Bird out of Lake Lloyd. I think the blob beside the car is a mechanic trying to keep the wheels straight as it comes up the bank?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tanner View Post
I sent you the pix, Dustin. Let me know if you got it and if it was viewable. The picture was taken looking into the sun (The view of the lake from the camera was indeed a westward shot) and the thing you see on the right was the wrecker pulling the T-Bird out of Lake Lloyd. I think the blob beside the car is a mechanic trying to keep the wheels straight as it comes up the bank?
Got it.... that's wild. I wonder what it was like to be there and see that thing go in.... I think I would have had to have help gettin my mouth to close back.