GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > College Sports > SEC Sports > Georgia Bulldogs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Georgia Bulldogs Georgia Bulldogs Forum. Chat UGA football and basketball with Bulldog fans in the Georgia message board. Georgia Bulldogs forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:19 AM
GoTeamsGo Hall of Famer!

Lefty Noob is an unknown quantity at this point
SEC bans "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"

In yet another case of political correctness run amok, the SEC has told TV networks to stop using the name "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" when describing the annual Florida Gators - Georgia Bulldogs game. According to the AP, conference commissioner Mike Slive wrote a letter to CBS, ESPN and other media outlets asking them to "avoid using the cocktail party reference. This is a great college football game which highlights a traditional rivalry full of the passion of football in the southeast. Our hope is to keep the focus on the game."

Apparently, Slive is doing this because of some recent alcohol related deaths. He's afraid the name will promote alcohol use. Yeah, like not calling a football game by this name will stop college students from drinking. Yeah, sure, fine, whatever. Idiots.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Starter
Charter Member Badge

cjg11582 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SEC bans "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"

It is sort of an inconsequential decision. I have been there the past three years and I cannot imagine anyone caring either way about this ruling. Though it is kind of ridiculous for UGA to be this hypocritical. The current OSU President (the utterly despised Karen Holbrook) came here from Georgia and mandated all these "crackdown" on excessive drinking policies on gamedays, despite the fact that while she was on the board at UGA they gave there students two days off for the game formerly known as the cocktail party (I am not sure if they still implement this vacation or not). Anyways, its nice to see Presidents and board members care about the well being of their student body only when their (or at least they believe) professional reputation is on the line. And think changing the title of a binge drinking fest is going to have any impact whatsoever on the outcome of game celebration.
Hopefully nothing as serious as someone's demise reoccurs, but hypothetically speaking what is going to be Silve's response if something similar does happen? When asked about it is he going to reply "Well, I dropped the 'World's Largest Cocktail Party' tagline, it's out of my hands". I am sure that will bode well for everyone concerned.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Towel Boy

Ga_Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

This is just one game. What does he propose to do about the other 143 games in the SEC?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 PM
GoTeamsGo Hall of Famer!

Lefty Noob is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome aboard, Ga_Dawg, and thanks for joining us here at GoTeamsGo!

Did you go to today's game? What's the general consensus amongst the fans? Is the "Cocktail Party" name still being used informally? I only ask because I can't imagine people outside of the media will stop using the term just because some half-baked conference official is delusional enough to think it'll suddenly prevent all alcohol-related deaths among university students.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Towel Boy

Ga_Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Noob
because some half-baked conference official is delusional enough to think it'll suddenly prevent all alcohol-related deaths among university students.
Thanks, lefty. And there was no effect on the partying just because a couple of school presidents are trying to change 50 years of tradition. There are roughly 145 games in the SEC during a season. Trying to change the nickname of just one of those games isn't gonna do anything about the alcolol "problem" on campus. A problem that has been there since the days of the Roman empire.
Closed Thread