GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NFL > Football Forums
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Football Forums Football Forums. Smash mouth football talk is a click away. Chat about anything that doesn't fit in one of our team's pro football forums.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:09 AM
All Pro

loco4pablo is an unknown quantity at this point
NFL- home/away jersey's?

Can someone answer me this question. I was at a friends house watching some football and we had a discussion concerning a teams home jersey colors and away jerseys. I always thought the home team wore the colored jerseys and the visiting team wore white
Example: During the Titian/Jet game in Tenn. The titians wore blue and the jets were in white. During the Cardinal/Giant game in Arizona the cards wore red and the giants were in white. In the Colt/Charger game in San diego the chargers were in Blue and the colts were in white.
BUT....In the Dolphin/Pat game in Miami the Pats were in Blue and the Dolphins in White.

So what is the NFL rule on this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Bette is on a distinguished road
Re: NFL- home/away jersey's?

I had to do some digging and after I found it I remembered reading it before. You are correct about the home team being colored and the visiting team white. But the home team can pick the color of jersey. Some home teams choose the white. I read that they sometimes do it because in the warmer climates white reflects heat better.
There is a third jersey, the throwback or alternate. Teams can use them only twice during the season and it must be with the confirmation of the NFL.
Hope this helps

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:41 AM
All Pro

loco4pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bette....I thought I heard that too about the home team picks the jersey color...I think that's silly, just make the rule that the home team wears the dark...but I guess it really doesn't matter
Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Starter

drfunk1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to drfunk1986 Send a message via Yahoo to drfunk1986

Nah I think the rule is fine. in most cases the home team does where the darker jersey and the away wears the lighter jersey. It is subject to change because remember, teams like the Dolphins have a white, teal (or aqua blue or soemthing) and a orange jersey. So it can changed or just. like the Giants, the Giants have a red, white and a blue jersey.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Undrafted Free Agent

MattyG0327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: NFL- home/away jersey's?

The long standing practice by the NFL has been to give the home team choice of which uniforms (colored, white, alternate with league approval) to wear. The choice must be submitted 96 hours prior to game day. Most teams are fairly predictible in their choices. For instance, its been widely known the Dallas Cowboys never pick their blue jerseys at home.

My question is the NFL's excursion into the college world of double colors, or uni-colored uniforms. Seattle's Blue pants/jersey or Arizona going red/red from time to time. Why do teams do this?! It looks tacky and I find myself rooting against teams that practice this. Part of what makes the NFL seem classy is their uniforms. Its bad enough some teams have white on white road uniforms. I prefer to see two-toned color schemes and never just one entire color. Does anyone else think this way?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:12 PM
VIP Member Badge

Phils20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I don't.

I like simple uni's.

I hated Denver's when they changed, and I have the new Cards unis too.

I think simple and traditional is better.

Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, and the Jets are all teams that have it right. Even the Browns are fine with me. All business.

The newer Denver and Cards. as named above, are two I don't like.

The Bengals are also awful.

Tiger Stripes in the Stripes on the pants???

Now if you just meant one color pants and another color jersey, I'm wih ya!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Undrafted Free Agent

Arrow Re: NFL- home/away jersey's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils20 View Post
Well, I don't.

I like simple uni's.

Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, and the Jets are all teams that have it right. Even the Browns are fine with me. All business.

I was talking more about when a team such as Arizona, Seattle, Denver, Tennessee, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonvile, and Houston where the same one color jersey and pants rather than colored jersey/ white pants. I think the one color should be left in the college ranks!

The fancy stripes and such are just another way teams create contemporary identities as well as infuse excitement in the marketing of their teams.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM
VIP Member Badge

Phils20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyG0327 View Post
I was talking more about when a team such as Arizona, Seattle, Denver, Tennessee, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonvile, and Houston where the same one color jersey and pants rather than colored jersey/ white pants. I think the one color should be left in the college ranks!

The fancy stripes and such are just another way teams create contemporary identities as well as infuse excitement in the marketing of their teams.
Well, those fancy stripes are ugly, as are a lot of the 3rd jersies.

The Giants white with Red letters looks like a practice jersey.

Amd don't even make me comment again on the Eagles Blue and Yellow a couple of season ago. Where is the puke smiley!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Undrafted Free Agent

Thumbs up Re: NFL- home/away jersey's?

Quote:
Well, those fancy stripes are ugly, as are a lot of the 3rd jersies.

The Giants white with Red letters looks like a practice jersey.

Amd don't even make me comment again on the Eagles Blue and Yellow a couple of season ago. Where is the puke smiley!
Yeah, a lot more misses than hits! But I wish Dallas would use their throwback uniforms more often as well as the Patriots, Bills, and Broncos.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Bette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, a lot more misses than hits! But I wish Dallas would use their throwback uniforms more often as well as the Patriots, Bills, and Broncos.
They cant. According to league rules only twice a year and then they need permission from the League.
As for colors, what one person hates another loves I guess.
I agree those ones the Eagles had that year were pretty bad.
And I too like the Boys' throwback jerseys.
Dont like the Bengals' either but maybe it has something with the way they play.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Starter

wow you guys seem hard to impress. LOl. Cowboys have to worn their navy blue jersey's at home before, they tend to wear their white on the road. Retro jersey's are usually for a special occasion. The Bengals jersey's are fine with me, because what are they? oh yeah, they're Bengals so go for it. I actually miss the old Bucs jersey's the orange and white and the old logo. Throwbacks I do not like are the Eagles ofcourse (ugliest throwback ever with the bright blue and bright yellow but love the original astro turf green), I miss the Broncos of like the 70's and 80's with the blue and orange and bronco with the star logo. Love how the Chargers went back to an older look except the navy blue jersey still (wish they would go back to the power blue retro like they sometimes do.) Why did they name them the Texans? Why couldn't they just have kept them as the Houston Oilers, miss having them around, now it's just the Titans whoopy!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfunk1986 View Post
wow you guys seem hard to impress. LOl. Cowboys have to worn their navy blue jersey's at home before, they tend to wear their white on the road. Retro jersey's are usually for a special occasion. The Bengals jersey's are fine with me, because what are they? oh yeah, they're Bengals so go for it. I actually miss the old Bucs jersey's the orange and white and the old logo. Throwbacks I do not like are the Eagles ofcourse (ugliest throwback ever with the bright blue and bright yellow but love the original astro turf green), I miss the Broncos of like the 70's and 80's with the blue and orange and bronco with the star logo. Love how the Chargers went back to an older look except the navy blue jersey still (wish they would go back to the power blue retro like they sometimes do.) Why did they name them the Texans? Why couldn't they just have kept them as the Houston Oilers, miss having them around, now it's just the Titans whoopy!
The eventual agreement Bud Adams had in breaking away from his Houston contract was to leave behind all the Oiler naming rights to the city. Hence the one season they were the Tennessee Oilers. the same with Cleveland winning the rights to the name Browns. If Baltimore was smart enough back in the 1980s, the Ravens would have become the Colts and indianapolis would have been something like the "Racers" or something.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Starter

Quote:
The eventual agreement Bud Adams had in breaking away from his Houston contract was to leave behind all the Oiler naming rights to the city. Hence the one season they were the Tennessee Oilers. the same with Cleveland winning the rights to the name Browns. If Baltimore was smart enough back in the 1980s, the Ravens would have become the Colts and indianapolis would have been something like the "Racers" or something.

ha! The Indianapolis Racers. Sounds so corny.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Special Teams

Bleedin Purple is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I don't.

I like simple uni's.

I have to disagree with you on this one, the league is changing, and there are new fans joining the experience everyday. Some base their fanship on just the colors and jerseys alone!

Why not update old looking, ugly jerseys if its less of an eye sore?
It increases the viewing experience as well as fan purchases and ect.

Times are changing and NFL teams need to update their image and keep up.

I do agree on the fact that some of the updated jerseys arent much better than the old one. haha

But I loved when the Vikings introduced their new stuff, it was a big transformation that I really liked.

You just a shook one.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedin Purple View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one, the league is changing, and there are new fans joining the experience everyday. Some base their fanship on just the colors and jerseys alone!

Why not update old looking, ugly jerseys if its less of an eye sore?
It increases the viewing experience as well as fan purchases and ect.

Times are changing and NFL teams need to update their image and keep up.

I do agree on the fact that some of the updated jerseys arent much better than the old one. haha

But I loved when the Vikings introduced their new stuff, it was a big transformation that I really liked.
I am interested Phils20.. how old are you? Its more a curiosity than anything else. I find that change is most embraced by younger fans, probably because it gives them a sense of their own "era" with teams.

Personally some changes are good, others are bad, and still yet others ought to be made but have not. Change for change sake is a dome reason. The Cardinals needed a change b/c of their long losing tradition (much like the Bucs did when they went pewter) Minnesota changing, seemed pointless. Perhaps a logo change with the uniform might have made it worthwhile.

Just my two sense worth on that..