GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NFL > Football Forums
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Football Forums Football Forums. Smash mouth football talk is a click away. Chat about anything that doesn't fit in one of our team's pro football forums.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Bette is on a distinguished road
Top 5 coldest Playoff Games

1) December 31, 1967 - NFL Championship Game between the Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field. Commonly called the “Ice Bowl” because temperature was -13 degrees F and the wind chill was -48 degrees F.
2) January 10, 1982 - AFC Championship Game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the San Diego Chargers at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, OH. Game time temperature was 9 below but is the coldest game ever for wind chill at 59 degrees below zero, as winds gusted up to 35 mph.
3) January 7, 1996 - AFC Playoff Game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Indianapolis Colts at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, MO. Temperature was -6 degrees F
4) January 4, 1981 - AFC Playoff Game between the Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders at Cleveland Municipal Stadium in Cleveland, OH. Temperature was 5 below zero and snow fell during part of the game.
5) January 15, 1994 - this one brings us a little closer to home with an AFC playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Oakland Raiders at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, NY. Temperature was right at zero with a wind chill of 32 below.
Honorable mention goes to the AFC playoff game between the New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro Mass. on January 10, 2004. Temperature was 4 degrees F and the wind chill 10 below zero.

StormWatch 8 Weather: Top 5 Coldest NFL Playoff Games

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Re: Top 5 coldest Playoff Games

This info was posted by a meteorologist.
Brrrr!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Coach

EmpireWF is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like we'll be getting a new entry into the top 5 on Sunday night.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Special Teams

Be Da Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
January 10, 1982 - AFC Championship Game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the San Diego Chargers at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, OH. Game time temperature was 9 below but is the coldest game ever for wind chill at 59 degrees below zero, as winds gusted up to 35 mph.
Not only do I remember that game, I remember that winter as well. Living in Ill. at the time. I remember with the wind chill that whole week being -50 or better. One night, the weather said it was -86 with the wind! Unreal. I was out and about on some of those nights being 16 at the time. One night it was -60 with the wind and I thought it was colder that night than when it was -86. I don't know how those guys played that game. I was going for S.D in that game. They just came off what I thought was the greatest game I ever seen played. Beating Miami in that playoff game was one hell of a game.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Da Bear View Post
Not only do I remember that game, I remember that winter as well. Living in Ill. at the time. I remember with the wind chill that whole week being -50 or better. One night, the weather said it was -86 with the wind! Unreal. I was out and about on some of those nights being 16 at the time. One night it was -60 with the wind and I thought it was colder that night than when it was -86. I don't know how those guys played that game. I was going for S.D in that game. They just came off what I thought was the greatest game I ever seen played. Beating Miami in that playoff game was one hell of a game.

I cant even comprehend that kind of cold, much less playing in it.
My preference is to be in my house buried under a blanket.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Coach

EmpireWF is an unknown quantity at this point

The NFC Championship game last night was -3 degrees F with a wind chill in the -20s I think.

FOX said it was the 3rd coldest NFL game ever.