GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NFL > Football Forums
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Football Forums Football Forums. Smash mouth football talk is a click away. Chat about anything that doesn't fit in one of our team's pro football forums.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 AM
GoTeamsGo Admin
VIP Member Badge

simple simon is an unknown quantity at this point
New Football League Starting

There's another upstart hoping to challenge the NFL on the football field, according to a report on the New York Times web site and a story in this Sunday's Play Magazine. And its first owner is Dallas Mavericks billionaire owner Mark Cuban.

Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street businessman, is starting the UFL. According to the report, he and his partner, Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google, have pledged $2 million each.

The Times/Play report says the league is still in the planning stages. Billionaire Boone Pickens backed out of his plan to buy a team, but Play says Cuban remains committed. Plans are for the league to have its first first preseason games in August 2008

Hambrecht’s plan is to enter big cities where the NFL isn’t, according to Play. As Cuban wrote in an e-mail, “There are quite a few good-sized non-N.F.L. cities that can support a pro team.” According to Play, the UFL has decided to put teams in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. (Cuban is considering taking the Las Vegas franchise.) Each owner will put up $30 million, giving him an initial half-interest in the team; the league will own the other half. Eventually each team is going to sell shares to the public, according to Play. Then the owner, the league and the fans will each own a third of every franchise.

One television advantage the UFL will have is Friday night. Thanks to the 1961 Sports Broadcasting Act, the NFL. is prohibited from televising games on most autumn Friday nights. Any new league would have televised football all to itself on that evening, the Play story says.

Roger Noll, a sports economist at Stanford University, told Play, “The crucial barrier to entry is finding stadiums in the biggest cities,” he replied — something UFL executives insist is not a problem in the places they are considering. “If you can do that, it would be easy to have a league.”
http://www.nbcsports.com/sports/1569872/detail.html?dest=rss|nfl

how about a frosty can of Shut The Hell Up

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
GoTeamsGo Admin
VIP Member Badge

Re: New Football League Starting

more power to them im all for more football on TV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
GoTeamsGo Hall of Famer!

Lefty Noob is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to them, but the quality of play in the NFL the past few seasons hasn't been great. I doubt there's enough talent out there to support a second league when there's barely enough to support a first
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 AM
GoTeamsGo Admin
VIP Member Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Noob View Post
Good luck to them, but the quality of play in the NFL the past few seasons hasn't been great. I doubt there's enough talent out there to support a second league when there's barely enough to support a first
i disagree that they will struggle ...... if they do it right

many of these cities will love the teams and the chance to snub their noses at the NFL

i think the football they play has to remain the same .... dont try and tweak it cause if you tweak wrong people will be ♥♥♥♥ed

as for the talent ........ we dont know yet the salary cap also they can offer back-ups the chance to start

do you want to back-up Vince Young in Tenn. or do you want to start in Vegas ?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Bette is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: New Football League Starting

Quote:
do you want to back-up Vince Young in Tenn. or do you want to start in Vegas ?
I have to go with Lefty on this. There is some really bad football in the NFL. If you are backing up Vince Young, its probably because you are an untried young quarterback who needs a little time, or you are a Drew Bledsoe or Vinny Testeverde. Nothing against either, they were great quarterbacks, but they are not starters. As for the other positions, my sister says second string is usually second string for a reason. I tend to agree with that in general.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
GoTeamsGo Admin
VIP Member Badge

well Bette ........ you may just be amazed ......... but i agree with everything you said

however (yes there has to be a however) i still think enough people would watch it, i know i would

think about it ........ many times you watch what's available ...... sure you may want to watch a Big 12 match-up but if the WAC is all you have then that's what you watch

and like i said, we dont know what the salary cap will be they may actually be able to attract talent
Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Quote:
well Bette ........ you may just be amazed ......... but i agree with everything you said
Amazed isnt the word for it. Yeah, I'd probably turn it on too. And if they were able to attract decent talent, maybe I'd turn it on again. Like you said, never too much football. But maybe this would weaken the NFL.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM
GoTeamsGo Admin
VIP Member Badge

well i think it has alot to do with the cities they choose as well

so far Vegas, LA and Mexico City sound like good ones
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM
GoTeamsGo Hall of Famer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I have to go with Lefty on this. There is some really bad football in the NFL. If you are backing up Vince Young, its probably because you are an untried young quarterback who needs a little time, or you are a Drew Bledsoe or Vinny Testeverde. Nothing against either, they were great quarterbacks, but they are not starters. As for the other positions, my sister says second string is usually second string for a reason. I tend to agree with that in general.
Exactly. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really want to watch a league that has Kerry Collins, Drew Bledsoe, Cleo Lemon and Matt Cassell as their marquee quarterbacks. With the NFL, CFL, Arena League, NFL Europa and numerous semi-pro leagues already out there, I just don't think there's enough grade-A talent to support a start-up and make it entertaining.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Coach

MJHMarc is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds cool, but I wouldn't watch it.

NFL+AFL.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 AM
GoTeamsGo Hall of Famer!

Re: UFL To Say "F.U" To NFL

Using the word "edgy" brings back cringe-worth reminders of the XFL. I see the same fate for this new upstart league.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 AM
General Manager
VIP Member Badge

bears9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to bears9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Noob View Post
Using the word "edgy" brings back cringe-worth reminders of the XFL. I see the same fate for this new upstart league.

i dont see the the same a fate as Areana football itll stick around wont be popular as the NFL the problem is when the NFL wants to add more teams they will goto these citys so that might be fatell to this luege
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
MVP

azrael492 is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, why is the NFL not allowed to show games on Fridays. i have never heard this rule before.

I don't think the league will last for more than a couple seasons either. Every player dreams of playing in the NFL. If a player gets recognition in the new league, they will be offered a contract in the NFL. It will end up being a practice squad for the NFL
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Vince, I am kind of intrigued by this title. What do all the abbreviations mean????????????????????????????
signed
just a rookie
Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael492 View Post
First off, why is the NFL not allowed to show games on Fridays. i have never heard this rule before.

I don't think the league will last for more than a couple seasons either. Every player dreams of playing in the NFL. If a player gets recognition in the new league, they will be offered a contract in the NFL. It will end up being a practice squad for the NFL
I think I have heard of this rule before. I'm really going out on limb here but doesnt it have something to do with high school and college games being on Friday?????????????????????/