GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum  

Go Back   GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum > NBA > Basketball Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basketball Forum Basketball Forum. Click through for all NBA basketball talk on the basketball forum.

View Poll Results: Will a woman ever play in the NBA?
Yes, the right woman could. 8 38.10%
Absolutely positively not 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Bette is on a distinguished road
Will a woman ever play in NBA?

Commish David Stern of the NBA was asked if he thought a woman could ever play in the NBA.
Stern answered, Yes, he could see it happening in the next 10 years.

So, what do you say? Could a woman ever play in the NBA and why or why not?

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Starter

Miz+Zou is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Will a woman ever play in NBA?

Ive seen college basketball men that have gotten schooled by freshman girls in high school theres no doubt this could happen infact it would probably be good for the league and would bring in tons more fans to the nba but the wnba would probably lose tons of fans to the nba.
When you beat #1 you think you have arrived but the truth is until you get that national title under your belt you have not arrived. --- Gary Pinkel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

kkfan91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kkfan91 Send a message via MSN to kkfan91 Send a message via Yahoo to kkfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz+Zou View Post
wnba would probably lose tons of fans to the nba.
They have fans? I don't think they would as long as the WNBA is there
Old 12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
GoTeamsGo Admin
VIP Member Badge

simple simon is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted no .... I really dont think a woman will ever play in the NBA

Now I suppose I do have to qualify this answer slightly ..... ever is a long time ...... 30+ years who knows what could happen .... with advancements in technology and genetics I may be forced to change my mind

If we go with the original story and Stern quote .. then no .. I surely don't see it happening in the next ten years

No woman to my recollection has ever even given a hint that she could handle a job in the NBA

The NBA season in 82 games ........ the WNBA season is 34 games .... that is a heck of a lot more wear and tear on a body that I dont know if a female player would be up to .... as none have done it

A lot of the NBA game is played above the rim .... scoring, blocking and rebounding ... WNBA players that can play above the rim is probably less then 5% ..... NBA players that can do it is likely around 90%

Just what position would the lady play ..... what would she be expected to do ?

I believe the Mercury is one of the better WNBA teams ..... they have just 2 players over 6 feet tall ..... the Nets are one of the worst NBA teams ... they have 10 players over 6'5"

So the Nets could put two different sets of starting 5 out there and all of them would be taller and stronger then the Mercury's tallest player

As I asked ..... just where would anyone expect this lady to play ? ..... who is she going to shoot over .... how will her shots not constantly be blocked ? ...... who is she going to defend ?

Personally I could much easily see a woman playing as a kicker in the NFL ....... heck I'm surprised that hasnt been tried yet .... kicking relies on leg strength and accuracy .... I dont think accuracy cares what gender you are ... and I'm sure there are women with much more leg strength then some of the wimpy kickers in the NFL

how about a frosty can of Shut The Hell Up

Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple simon View Post
I voted no .... I really dont think a woman will ever play in the NBA

Now I suppose I do have to qualify this answer slightly ..... ever is a long time ...... 30+ years who knows what could happen .... with advancements in technology and genetics I may be forced to change my mind

If we go with the original story and Stern quote .. then no .. I surely don't see it happening in the next ten years

No woman to my recollection has ever even given a hint that she could handle a job in the NBA

The NBA season in 82 games ........ the WNBA season is 34 games .... that is a heck of a lot more wear and tear on a body that I dont know if a female player would be up to .... as none have done it

A lot of the NBA game is played above the rim .... scoring, blocking and rebounding ... WNBA players that can play above the rim is probably less then 5% ..... NBA players that can do it is likely around 90%

Just what position would the lady play ..... what would she be expected to do ?

I believe the Mercury is one of the better WNBA teams ..... they have just 2 players over 6 feet tall ..... the Nets are one of the worst NBA teams ... they have 10 players over 6'5"

So the Nets could put two different sets of starting 5 out there and all of them would be taller and stronger then the Mercury's tallest player

As I asked ..... just where would anyone expect this lady to play ? ..... who is she going to shoot over .... how will her shots not constantly be blocked ? ...... who is she going to defend ?

Personally I could much easily see a woman playing as a kicker in the NFL ....... heck I'm surprised that hasnt been tried yet .... kicking relies on leg strength and accuracy .... I dont think accuracy cares what gender you are ... and I'm sure there are women with much more leg strength then some of the wimpy kickers in the NFL
Interesting simon.
The general feeling was that the women in the WNBA have improved in their playing skills and are at a level with the guys. Even some of the NBA players said it.
But they did mention that women would be at a disadvantage as far as physical strength and stamina.
But not one said anything about the huge difference in height. And to me that is a biggie.
Nah, I dont think a woman will be ready for the NBA in 10 years. Thats not saying that the league wont try and push it though.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
GoTeamsGo - Admin
Staff Badge

LSC9901 has disabled reputation

Unless they put more refs out there I say no. The game is far more rough than what we see on TV. There is so much illegal pushing and shoving that goes uncalled that it isn't funny. I don't believe there are many, if any, women out there in the WNBA that could tolerate the beatings ... and you know darn well that some of the NBA players would go right after them just to prove a point.

I'm not being chauvinistic but they have a league that is suited for them. Let's just leave well enough alone at this point in time.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator, Motorsports Guru & Crotchety Old Fart
VIP Member BadgeStaff Badge

Racer Duck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Racer Duck

IMHO: it'll happen - when the NFL has it's first female running back. kickers don't count...

'course nobody thought anyone would ever kick a 60 yard field goal either!!!

MLB will get a female player long before the NFL or the NBA!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

Send a message via AIM to kkfan91 Send a message via MSN to kkfan91 Send a message via Yahoo to kkfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Duck View Post
IMHO: it'll happen - when the NFL has it's first female running back. kickers don't count...

'course nobody thought anyone would ever kick a 60 yard field goal either!!!

MLB will get a female player long before the NFL or the NBA!
I knew a lot of girls better then me in little league of course I'm pretty sure I lead the league in strike outs each year but...am i doing that thing where I go on about my life in a way thats unrelated again?

I'm a non-attorney non-spokesman
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan91 View Post
I knew a lot of girls better then me in little league of course I'm pretty sure I lead the league in strike outs each year but...am i doing that thing where I go on about my life in a way thats unrelated again?
No, not really. The girls were better than you in baseball, but then again, sounds like you really sucked
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
No, not really. The girls were better than you in baseball, but then again, sounds like you really sucked
I really did
Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
GoTeamsGo - Admin
Staff Badge

LSC9901 has disabled reputation

KK is so bad that he couldn't even make UVM's JV football squad.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Oh wow! Thats really bad.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
The Murphinator
Staff Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I never played football other then 2 years of flag football
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Bench Warmer

Wittlebaby is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what the WNBA is for, bro.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Administrator, Motorsports Guru & Crotchety Old Fart
VIP Member BadgeStaff Badge

Racer Duck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Racer Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittlebaby View Post
That's what the WNBA is for, bro.
except there always women who think men shouldn't have their own stuff, that it all belongs to women and they just let us play at their whim. and anytime the notion hits them, we should allow them to get maimed in our pastimes so we can be blamed for allowing it to happen.

women should have labels on their foreheads that say: "Health Warning - women can seriously damage your brains, genitals, bank account, confidence, razor blades and good standing among your friends."

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.